Friday, April 11, 2008

Padang - Bukit Tinggi (Day 2)

Today is my second day in Bukit Tinggi and also becoming my second day in Sumatra. Yes, I never been to Sumatra before, that's why I am so excited when I ask to travel to this island. So far I have been travelling to all major island of Indonesia, except Sumatera.

My plan for today is finishing the work as soon as possible so I can still have time to see some sightseeing locations in Bukit Tinggi. I heard from the Hotel Receptionist that in here there is a long undergound tunnel that was built during the Japanese colonialsm. The tunnel was design as the prisoner for Indonesian who are againts them. The cave also designed as the getaway from the enemy. Rumour said that it is very long and only some area has been restored by the local government. Some other says that it is even longer than the "Gucci Tunnel" in Vietnam that now become one of attractive tourist agenda.

Later I found that my journey is actually started during the lunch time when our local partner bring us to the traditional market that selling the local food as known as "Nasi Kapau". This type of cullinary is specially made locally in area of West Sumatera, which is famous for the chilly (hot) food ever made on the earth. Once we arrive at the place, I ordered the standard menu plus some extra chilly since I do love to eat hot food. But as I came from Eastern of Java, usually I combine with some soya sauce and I called the food "Hot and Sweet". Some of my friend that came a long with me says that the food is too hot for them but not for me. This market that serve the food is located near the Bukit Tinggi landmark "Jam Gadang". It is a tall and high clock with some West Sumatra ornament. "Gadang" in local dialect means "Big". The place is also near by the first Indonesian Vice President, Muhammad Hatta.

The sun is moving to west and the work is finish, and I think it is a good time to explore the Tunnel. On the way to the tunnel, I manage to take a picture of the Ngarai Sihanouk, a beautiful scenery in Bukit Tinggi. The next picture is the entrance to the tunnel and we need guidance from local people on the journey. On the wall near to the entrance showing the tunnel that has been restored so far.


After around one hours journey under ground we are reach to the end of the tunnel and to get back to where we park our car, we need to climb over a ladder. The local people named the ladder as "1,000 tangga" or a thousand steps ladder. Actually the steps as not as that much but it is an expression on how high we need to climb.

My last frontier today is visited the first Indonesian Vice President, Muhammad Hatta's house that already restored. The house is equipped and furnish with all the material belongs to him. The rooms that he used to slept, the bike he used to use to go to school and all material belonging to him. A series pictures about the house and inside it can be seen below:







-Dian-


To fly to Padang you can choose Mandala Airlines and you can book the seats On Line here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

test-test

Anonymous said...

Did you visit Jam Gadang as well? it's just few hundred meters from the tunnel. Anyway, it's nice to see your blog. From your header, I knew that you have visited Paris. And from milis tintin_id, I knew that your are one of the tintiners, so please feel free to visit Brussel and have a change to take a look Tintin museum.

best regards
Aris

Dian said...

Aris,

I had visited Jam Gadang as well, and planned to write the first portion of the trilogy of Padang Bukit Tinggi writing.

I've been to London, Burgess Hill, Brighton, Paris, Nice, Brussel, Antwerpen, the whole Holland, Berlin, Barcelona, Frankfurt and Athens.

During my visit to Brussels I forgot to drop by to the Tintin museum...

Regards,

Dian

Anonymous said...

hauhauhaa..
perutnya pak... makmur byangett :p

Dian said...

Ya itu sich dua taun yang lalu. Sekarang sich udah banyak berkurang...

Itu pas beratku 125 Kg....

Sekarang udah 105 Kg...